. . . CLUB HISTORY
The Society was originally formed in 1933 by a group of Scots who had moved south to work in the many large companies in Slough, especially on the Trading Estate. Following a notice in the local paper, a meeting was held at the Cheshire Cat Restaurant, above the Electricity Shop in Bath Road, Slough, and the Scots’ Society of St. Andrew, Slough and District was born.
The Society held many functions including:-Hogmanay Dances (at the Adelphi Cinema, Slough / White Hart Hotel, Windsor)Burns’ Suppers, St. Andrew’s Dinner and Dances (Castle Hotel, Windsor)Ceilidhs, Whist Drives (Upper Room, Reindeer Hotel, High Street, Slough)Summer Outings with Races (Burnham Beeches)Children's Christmas Parties, Junior Shows (presented in the 1930s by Mrs. Naismith).
During the War the ladies of the Society together with those of Trinity Church ran a work party knitting for the Forces, and this kept the social side of the Society together. There was a revival of the Society after the war with the Dancing Classes recommencing in the late 1940s in a small room at Herschel Hall, Slough.So many people attended the first session that Mr. J. J. S. Smith together with the President went to find larger premises. Classes continued in the Banquet Hall of the Royal Hotel (opposite the Station) until it was demolished. The number of members attending the classes on some nights was in excess of 80!The Society has met at several other premises in Slough including the Co-operative Hall (behind Isaac’s Furniture Shop), The Methodist Church (corner of The Grove and High Street), Herschel Hall and finally Trinity United Reformed Church Hall. It moved to these latest premises in 1990,when the new church was built, and this is where it continues to meet.Miss Jessa Ferguson was the country dance instructor for the Society from the late 1940s until her retirement in 2004. Her mother was a founder member of the Society and Jessa herself was a first year member.